Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Is it correct that when a dogs stomach has twisted and the

is it correct that when a dogs stomach has twisted and the blood supply interrupted that some of the tissue can die within minutes to such an extent that when the blood supply is restored it is too late and the tissue cannot be revived
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today. I am so sorry to hear about Dash's condition.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
To answer your question, yes. You are referring to a condition called gastric dilitation and volvulus. When the stomach is inflated and twisted, the blood supply can indeed be compromised. This will cause tissue death. Some dogs are lucky and the tissue may remain vital once the stomach is decompressed and untwisted. Others can have severe necrosis (tissue death). These dogs will require that tissue to be surgically removed. In very extensive necrosis, they may not survive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can the tissue sometimes die within minutes to a point where it cant be restored
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how we could pinpoint that it was only twisted for a few minutes, more often this has been occurring for a short while at home, then there is transit to the hospital, then an x-ray to confirm the problem before we begin treatment. If there was complete obstruction of the blood supply to an area of the stomach though, I do think it would begin to die quickly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok about roughly how long for tissue to die when twists occur at stomach valves
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
This is not a statistic that we have data on. I would estimate as quickly as 10-15 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your answer which I fully appreciate you have had to estimate
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Of course. I'm so sorry about Dash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you