Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat is just 16 and her diet has always been dried

Hello, my cat is just 16 and her diet has always been dried food which she hasn't wanted to each much of lately possibly due to teeth problems. My trusted vet who has looked after my cat for a number of years is on holiday till next week. I have changed her diet to 1 fillet of frozen cod cooked each day which she is eating. But she has become constipated and has only been once during a week. (she used to go daily). I have tried her with tinned tuna in sunflower which she has had a little of for a couple of days but she is still not going. She is drinking and urinating as normal. I would appreciate your advice please.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I must note that we do want to avoid the sunflower oil. It is too readily digestible to help with constipation and is rich/fatty enough that it can actually trigger pancreatitis in some cats. Instead, better options for getting things moving for Toffee would be to treat her with cat hairball treatment or an OTC GI lubricant (ie Lactulose, liquid paraffin, Miralax, etc) from your local chemist. You can add a few millilitres of any of these to her food to just aid lubricating that gut and helping restore fecal regularity.
Furthermore, while cod is fine as a short term diet option, I would just note that if Toffee has a sore mouth, you can alternatively offer her pate style wet food. In fact, if she isn't able to eat much, she may benefit from an OTC calorically dense diets like Hills A/D or Royal Canin Recovery diet. Alternatively, you could even try her with a wet pate style kitten food. Or there are liquid diets (ie Clinicare, Catsure, etc) that could also be of use here. Whichever you choose, all are nutrient dense so they have more calories/fat/protein per bite then her regular food. So, a little goes a long way and all will be more balanced for her. And just to note your local vet practice can dispense most of these for you as needed until her vet is back.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )