Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

It has been 5 days since my scarlet macaw has lost his voice

Customer Question

It has been 5 days since my scarlet macaw has lost his voice and he doesn't not react if you touch him now. Usually he used to be play playful and sqwak and talk. But now he has suddenly stopped for a few days. He has not made a single sound for a few days. I am worried. He does eat seeds and fruit and drinks water. He is active but not like before.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to continue WAITING I would like a answer please
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can you find someone to answer me I am getting concerned you have taken my 14.00
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian-oriented vets on the site and I've been working out of town. I regret that my reply must necessarily be unsatisfactory. It's important to note that once a macaw acts ill they're quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: bvpa.org.uk). This is a protective mechanism because ill birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Charlie's symptoms of loss of voice and non-responsiveness are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. They do suggest respiratory infection but whether that infection is bacterial, viral, or fungal is unknown. An avian-oriented vet will first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Charlie's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca(vent) may be taken.Until Charlie can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 29.4C by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on it slowest setting to the sides of his cage. Remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at halfof the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water.These supplements are available in pet/agricultural merchant stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Charlie's diet consisted of other than seeds and fruit, please?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean

I'd like to hear from you again with a progress report on Charlie. You can return to this conversation at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.