Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat got fleas and he losing fur. I have given him

Customer Question

Hello my cat got fleas and he losing fur. I have given him a flea table and I was wondering if I could give him a spot on treatment
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry that you're battling fleas on Kaspar; they really are such a nuisance!! What is the name of the flea tablet which you gave him?And, which topical treatment do you now wish to use on him? There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bob Martin clear flea talble I given him one. The flea treatment is called Bob martins spot on solution 50mg
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,I fear you may have inadvertently clicked on the rating's icon since I haven't provided an answer for you yet. Please give me a minute to research the ingredients in both of the products and I'll let you know if it would be safe to give the topical product to your cat. Thanks, Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for you help I love my cats and I don't want people to think that I don't look after them. I love them with all my heart
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome. I doubt that anyone would think you're not taking care of your cats just because they have fleas...I certainly wouldn't!!! Fleas are becoming a fact of life for many owners and can be extremely difficult to eliminate. I'm still researching so thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He losing fur and got bites everywhere bless him
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
It sounds as if he has Flea Bite Dermatitis which is a condition where cats are allergic to the flea saliva, not the mere presence of the fleas themselves. Obviously, effective flea control is going to be important but you can also try Diphenhydramine (an anti-histamine) which may bring him some relief from the scratching and itching that he's doing. The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day with sedation a possible side effect.Many of these cats actually need systemic steroids before relief is seen but some will respond to antihistamines which is why I suggested it. The Bob Martin oral tablet contains Nitenpram which would be safe to give concurrently with the Spot On topical product (which contains Fipronil).The former is an excellent quick kill product which I would continue to use every day for 3-4 days, at least to help kill off as many fleas as possible.Fipronil isn't a bad drug to kill fleas and one which I've used on my patients. You probably already know that all the cats and dogs (if you have any) in the household need to be treated for fleas as does the environment. Fleas are without question an incredible nuisance! Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I can give him the spot on treatment as well I am dyslexic and find it hard to read and right
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can give him the spot on treatment even though he's been given the pill. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all you help and guidance we appreciate all you help Kaspar said to say thanks you too
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Glad I could help you and Kaspar. And thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Best of luck as you battle with getting his fleas under control. Kind regards, Deb