Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My border collie has lost the power of his back end. 5 weeks

my border collie has lost the power of his back end. 5 weeks of costly anitbiotics hasnt made any difference. Hes alert and eating well and we can cope with his disability. Any idea about his prognosis?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- What is the name of the medication he is on? 2- Did your vet do any testing like blood work or xrays? 3- Can you elaborate on how he is losing the power of the back end?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was 3 different antibiotics. Sorry I cant remember their names. The vet did do x rays and said it was either an infection on his spine or a tumour, so treated the infection. He cant lift his back end of the floor, he cant wag his tail. And hes no control over his toilet actions. Hes happy and alert and is eating and drinking well. Hes only 6.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back. In response to your question, it sounds like you dog is weak in the back end as a result of having a compromised to the nerves that innervate the back legs. The prognosis will be depend on the exact underlying cause. For example, if this is related to an infection then it would have a better prognosis that a tumor. But, then again it depends on the type of tumor; some tumors could be slow growing. The other important that needs to be considered is that there could be compression of the spinal cord by a bulging disc. I would recommend you discuss with your veterinarian about doing a biopsy and culture & sensitivity of the affected area to determine the exact underlying. In addition, consider adding anti inflammatory medications to their treatment plan if they have not done so already. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter