Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Should a juvenile tortoise be kept in a vevarium confused with

Should a juvenile tortoise be kept in a vevarium confused with mixed advice from reptile shops and protection societies
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your quesiton, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I do feel a vivarium can be used as long as the tortoise habitat is constructed carefully in the vivarium. There is no single set up that will work. We must learn about the species, and get the diet, lighting, humidity and temperature right. When providing UV light it cannot broadcast through the glass of the lid of the terrarium because glass filters UV. So can a commercial terrarium be used only with no changes to it... no. Can it be modified successfully? Certainly. The best thing to do is start with a website like Tortoisetrust.org and learn about your particular species of tortoise and make sure that temp, humidity, diet, and calcium consumption is perfect, and make the adjustments needed to the terrarium to accomplish that. If you go through those steps then you'll have a healthy tiddles. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more quesitons. Dr. Dan