Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My female Labrador has incontinence problems how can I solve

Customer Question

my female Labrador has incontinence problems how can I solve it
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please confirm that Tilly is urinary incontinent and please tell me what her symptoms were which prompted the administration of the medicine. Which drugs have been prescribed? Is Tilly spayed? Has a urinary tract infection been ruled out? Is Tilly polydipsic (increased thirst) and polyuric (increased volume of urine)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes filly is spayed
they were anti incontnence drops
she doesn't drink anymore than usual but the volume of urine has increased. Some days there is puddles on the floor others it's just made her back end wet
Thank you for the additional information. Can you tell me the active ingredient of the drops, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't unfortunately as we don't have the bottle anymore, I have a feeling they may have contained oestrogen
I understand. Urethral incompetence - weak sphinchter and musculature of the urethra - is a common cause of urinary incontinence in large-breed spayed dogs. This disorder usually responds to an estrogen such as DES (diethylstilbesterol) or estriol. The dose is variable but generally the smallest and least frequently administered effective dose is the correct dose. If an estrogen isn't sufficient to return my patient to continence, PPA (phenylpropanolamine/an alpha-adrenergic drug) can be added to the therapy. It's important to make sure that a concomitant urinary tract infection isn't present and that my patient doesn't have another disorder altogether...disorders that increase thirst and, thus, an increase in urine which needs to be accommodated by her bladder. Those disorders are detected by performing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your time do you suggest a trip to the vets then & do you think it's a common problem or could be something more serious such as cancer
Yes, you're going to need Tilly's vet to sort Tilly. Both uroliths (urinary tract stones) and transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra are considerations in these patients but not as commonly found as are simple bacterial urinary tract infections and urethral incompetence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much for you help my dad is going to make an appointment at the vets asap
Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do thank you for your help
I appreciate it. No need to reply at this time.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please disregard the info request.