Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Sara my 2 year old male shitzu has recently had a trim and was shaved to close to his

Customer Question

hi sara my 2 year old male shitzu has recently had a trim and was shaved to close to his ball area , it looked very red and sore so we applied vaseline to it , it now looks a bit better and not so enflamed " did we do right" also he as started to be sick and he has had diarrhoea and there has been blood in his poo! he has been eating but then brings it back in his sick , im worried about him he doesn't seem his usual self , could you please give me advice thankyou !
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Good evening - thanks for sending me your question :) Sorry for the delay - I just got online. It's not unusual for them to be a little red and inflamed if they get trimmed a bit too close - it'll improve on its own in a few days most likely. A little vaseline or hydrocortisone cream shouldn't hurt at all. Vomiting and diarrhea together make me think of something infectious (think stomach flu). He recently was around other dogs at the groomer so he could've picked something up there. When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.If he's not on any other drugs or have any other health problems, sometimes a dose of 5mg per 20 pounds of body weight of famotidine (pepcid AC) can settle a rotten tummy too.Diarrhea I usually start with a bland diet of three parts boiled white rice to one part boiled chicken. I'd continue this for 5-7 days until the poop is looking better. If he's getting quite lethargic, stops eating, or shows any of the other signs I described above, it's time to see the vet. I hope this helps :) Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.~Dr. Sara
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening - I'm Dr. Sara - I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Dino has had trouble with his eyes.

Based on your description I'd be most suspicious of cataracts in those eyes. Cataracts are a progressive opacification of the lens, which is right behind the pupil. It usually can be seen as a white, gray, or blue color to the pupil which used to be black. Cataracts can sometimes come about fairly quickly like you noticed. Another thing that can happen quite suddenly is a disease called sudden acquired retinal degeneration or SARD. in SARD, the retina suddenly stops working, causing a sudden onset of blindness. There's no known cause for SARD, and unfortunately no treatment. In any case with a drastic change in vision like this it's a good idea to have your pet examined by the vet to be sure there's nothing else going on. For instance, sometimes vision loss can be caused by glaucoma, which is very painful and should be managed. Cataracts developing quickly can be a sign of diabetes, so it's important to consider some senior blood work to check for "whole body" diseases. What questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara