Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog's period bleeding is heavier than it has ever been before.

My dog's period bleeding is heavier than it has ever been before. Her period was light. She had an infected foot and some strong antibiotics that seemed to upset her digestive system a few weeks ago. Within the last couple of days her bleeding became heavy and frequent. She hasn't eaten much in the last couple of days. She doesn't seem unwell as such, just has less energy. She is 14. Is this normal?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is she lethargic? 2- How long has it been since the last time she was in heat? 3- Is she drinking more than usual? 4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is not lethargic. It's been over 6 months since she was last in heat. Drinking about the same as normal. Gums are pink. She is currently enjoying a small chicken treat. She walked at a fast enough pace when I took her for a walk earlier but wanted to return home sooner than she normally would.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the vaginal discharge being heavier certainly can be her period. However, it may also indicate that she has an infection of the uterus called a "Pyometra." This type of infection is very serious and could be fatal if not treated promptly. For this reason it is important to rule out a pyometra. I would highly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. If she does have a pyometra she will need surgery to remove the infected uterus and aggressive antibiotic therapy. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter