Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My dog is a ***** ***** approx 9 years old . Approx a

Customer Question

My dog is a ***** ***** approx 9 years old bitch. Approx a week ago she all of a sudden went all strange. Shivering lethargic and depressed. Very unlike her. She has shaky back legs. She was eating and drinking but after a few days she started being sick. Took her to the vets on Saturday morning and he gave her a shot of antibiotics and an anti sickness drug. Yesterday she wouldn't even get up after this. She orally has to take a antibiotic twice a day and an anti sickness drug once a day. She is much perkier today is walking round wagging her tail has been for a walk etc but she's still not completely right but can see an improvement. The thing is she won't eat or drink. She was given some powder to put in her water for rehydration and if i put water in my hand as a cup she will Lick it but won't do it volunterally. She def won't eat and don't think she's eaten since Friday. Chicken and rice she won't eat. Think the antibiotics were for a bacterial thing. The vet wants to see her in the morning and wants an improvement in her or will have to run tests. I have read these antibiotics can supress the appetite. I just want her to eat and feel at my wits end as to what's wrong with her. Is she better? Surely this long without food is no good
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.
Hello,This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Can you tell the me the name of the medications she's taking? Were any tests done when she was seen on Saturday? When did she last drink normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi thanks for getting back to me. Meds are cerenia 16mg and nisamox 50mg. She last drank water normally on sat morning but was making her sick. After she went to vets she hadn't eaten it drank a thing. The vet didn't do any tests but wanted her to come back on Monday

Thank you for the information. The most immediate concern is dehydration, she can go several days without eating and be fine but dehydration can set in much more quickly. It is great news that she is feeling better. Try offering her some warm chicken or beef broth. Many dogs will drink that before they will drink water. The antibiotics can have an affect on appetite but my main suspicion is whatever is causing her to feel bad in the first place. If necessary you can even force feed the broth with a syringe. Try to use a low fat, low sodium broth. Continue to offer bland food such as the chicken breast and white rice. Cooked egg whites are also an option. If she drinks the broth well then try putting that on the food to see if that gets her to eat. If you have more questions please reply back. If I've been helpful please take the opportunity to rate my work today.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience: 12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi sorry it's taken a while to get back to you and rate your answer which was very good thank you. She is being treated for leptoporosis. She had 2 days In the vets and is improving at home. Tests come back monday. She will drink voluntarily now but won't eat still do we are syringing her food. We are being very carefully at home to avoid infection but I was wondering if there is anything else we can do to make her comfortable. I guess it is a long road for her till recovery. Hoping she'll pull through

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

It sounds like you are doing just about all you can do at home. There isn't much more that can offer to add. Good luck. I hope she does well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to help her food wise. I have Google everything and feel like I'm getting square eyes. I am rubbing honey in her gums to bring her blood sugar levels up and pureeing chicken and rice. She's so skinny. Her breathing has become quicker and she has gone downhill since the vet prescribed her the antibiotic for lepto In the last few days. How often should I feed her? She's like a little puppy she's so skinny. So if she recovers or not so be it but I'm trying to sustain her in the meantime and the vet just lifted up her back legs on last visit and gave her extra antibiotics and said comeback Tues for test results. It's horrific! No advice on anything. Any help would be appreciated

Leptospirosis is a very rough disease and survival rates are typically low even with antibiotics. My big concern would be dehydration. It's best to feed her small, frequent meals. Try giving the pureed chicken/rice through a syringe every 2-3 hours. Chicken baby food also works pretty well but you might have to mix in a little broth to make if through the syringe. I'd recommend 2-3 tablespoons every 2-3 hours. That will provide fluids and food to her. Mixing the honey with the food is fine too but only a quarter teaspoon or so. Dehydration is the main enemy so concentrate on getting fluids in her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hu. Just wanted to let you know we had bess put to sleep today. She was just to sick. I was with her on her passing and I guess I feel blessed for that. Thank you for your help though

I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolences.