Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Dog back from 4 days in kennels will not stop scratching making

Customer Question

Dog back from 4 days in kennels will not stop scratching making herself sore
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
The very pruritic (itchy) sarcoptic mange should be considered in any dog scratching as you've described when just having been boarded. This is a very contagious mite passed from dog to dog in kennels. It's easy to treat but difficult to diagnose because skin scrapings don't always find the mites or their eggs. Most of us will treat presumptively with an injection of ivermectin repeated at 7 day intervals as needed. Scratching usually is first noticed about the ears and lateral elbows but soon generalizes over the rest of the body. Owners may contract the mites which usually causes a pruritic rash across the abdomen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.