Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Anal gland problem

Customer Question

I have a seven year old german shepherd who developed an open abcess of the anal gland last week, we took her to the vet and were given a twenty day course of the antibiotic anti robe, we are three days into the treatment and the gland is still pussing quite a lot which I salt bath three times a day, the swelling seems to have reduced a little though. Is this normal for the pus to continue to drain or should I contact vet again? I should add she has been in very good health all the way through never showing and signs apart from licking area.

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Yes, this is normal. All of this infection must come to the outside and as long as you are still seeing pus coming out, this is a good sign and will help the healing process. Keep up what you are doing along with the antibiotic and this will resolve within a few more days. Your vet may want to recheck this in a few days anyways just to be safe.Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you Sincerely, ***** *****
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Thank you so much, Paul, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Kola feels better soon!

Have a great day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you, ***** ***** still ozzing today so will continue. I can include image in couple of days if it does not improve. The vet said there was a golfball sized swelling inside so it must have been alot of pus and debris in there that we could not see.

It is normal, Paul, that this dead tissue and ifected material will have to come out of this area so having the discharge is totally normal. Just watch it to be sure. Good job, Paul!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well good news is the infection has cleared totally, bad news I just noticed a lump on her tail last night, you would think I would have noticed it before after cleaning her so much. It is about size of a grape about 2 inches down the tail on one side, firm to touch and exactly shape of a grape. We are going to vet for follow up next Monday so would you think it is ok to leave it until then?

I should add it is totally painless and under the skin.

ps, had another look and skin under it seems bluish with tiny little brown flakes around it.

HI Paul....You can wait until your vet appointment This mass on Kola is most likely a benign tumor since it is painless. These are common and not harmful to Kola.