Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a black rabbit that keeps sneezing she had a clear discharge

I have a black rabbit that keeps sneezing she had a clear discharge out of her nose shall I talk her to a vet or not
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Coke been sneezing?

Is the discharge from both nostrils?

What kind of bedding are you using? Is this new for her?

Is her hay any more dusty then normal?

How is she otherwise? Eating, drinking, and behaving as normal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been sneezing about 2 weeks now and discharge is from just one nostril her sister is fine the bedding has been changed from wood shavings to litter and bedding pellets she is eating and drinking fine
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Hannah,

Now what is the litter/bedding pellets made of?
Are you seeing any drooling?
Any swelling of the face or squinting of the eye on the same side as the discharging nostril?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pellets are just paper and no drooling or swelling
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Hannah,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see sneezing and nasal discharge for a range of reasons in your rabbits. Now if the pellets are paper, then allergies from the airborne components of her bedding is something we can rule out. That aside and the fact that we only have one sided nasal discharge (which makes infectious agents and
other airway irritants also less likely), we'd be more concerned about an irritant that would only affect one nostril.

With that in mind, our main worries here would be whether she has gotten a foreign body caught in her affected nostril or the back of the nasopharynx on that side, whether she has an open tooth root growing into the nasal passage, or whether we have a mass (fungal, polyp, etc) in that nasal passage. With her being so young, a tumor in the nasal passage would be less likely. As well, while less likely if there are no changes to the eye on this side, I would note that we can sometimes see increased sneezing and nasal discharge associated with eye issues.

Based on these considerations and the duration that she has had signs, we would want to consider having her checked at this stage. We'd want your local vet to check her eye and tear duct flow as well as assessing her mouth and nose. Depending on their findings, we may need them to flush her nose +/- her tear ducts or xray if one of those mass type lesions is suspect.

So, those would be our concerns here for her signs. Infectious agents and allergies, despite being the most common causes for sneezing in young rabbits, are not likely here and instead the above would be our main worries that we'd need to focus on for Coke.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.