Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

MY DOG WAS CASTRATED ON WEDNESDAY HE WAS FINE YESTERDAY BUT

MY DOG WAS CASTRATED ON WEDNESDAY HE WAS FINE YESTERDAY BUT HE HAS BEEN GETTING HIS COLLAR OFF AND HAS NOW BROKEN OPEN THE WOUND HE IS GETTING EXTREMELY UPSET AND VERY ANXIOUS.. I HAVE PUT A NAPPY ON HIM TO STOP HIM GETTING TO THE WOUND BUT HE IS JUST GOING MAD CAN YPOU PLEASE ADVISE ME ON WHAT I CAN DO UNTILL I CAN GET HIM TO THE VETS TOMOORROW I WOULD CALL AN EMERGENCY VET BUT FUNDS ARE LOW
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm so sorry that you're having post-operative issues with Scamp...although from the sounds of it, he's well named! I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind: 1. Will he let you touch or clean the incision site?2. Can you take a picture of it and send to me. This LINK walks you through the process.3. If not, how open is the incision?4. Is there a lot of bleeding or oozing?5. I know that determined dogs can often remove collars but if tightened or attache properly, most will stay on. Is this the type of collar that you can tighten or somehow make the neck opening smaller (so he can't get his head through the opening)?There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

SORRY CANNOT FIT PICTURE ON ...SCAMP WILL NOT

LET ME NEAR HIM WE HAVE MANAGED TO TIGHTEN THE COLLAR BUT HE IS REALLY CRYING, THE WOUND IS ONLY OPEN SLIGHTLY THERE IS NO BLOOD BUT IT LOOKS A BIT YELLOW

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the effort; I was able to access the picture which is quite helpful.The incision site actually doesn't look that bad but his scrotum seems a little enlarged to me. This can sometimes happen if the dogs are a little more active than they should be after surgery or if small vessels leak blood into the area.It's not a major complication but can be uncomfortable for some patients. I neglected to ask if he was sent home on any medication such as Rimadyl, Deramaxx or Previcoxx or possibly Tramadol? If so, then the former has anti-pain properties as well as anti-inflammatory ones which will be perfect for this situation.If he's been sent home with Tramadol, then it may be possible to increase the dose if I know how much he was prescribed and how much he weighs. If he's not taking any drugs, I might normally suggest Aspirin but it wouldn't be prudent if he's leaking blood into his scrotum. This particular drug can affect clotting so it would be contraindicated. What might help would be Benadryl since it often causes sedation; if he's a little drowsy, then he won't be as bothered by his incision or scrotum.The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight and can be given twice a day. Since he won't let you near him, it's going to be difficult to treat his incision but I'm not entirely convinced that you need to do so since it doesn't look as bad as I expected. Applying topical cortisone to the scrotum (but NOT the incision) may help with inflammation but may be difficult if he won't let you near the area. You might also consider putting a t-shirt on his backwards with the tail coming out where a person's head would be and his back legs fitted into the arms. This might prevent some access to the area although the incision doesn't look as if he's licking at it. I hope this helps and that he settles down soon. I know how distressing this must be for you both. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HE HAS BEEN GIVEN CARPROFEN 20MG 1/2 TABLET TWICE A DAY WITH FOOD.....THIS PICTURE DOES NOT SHOW IT PROPERLY AS HE WAS NOT WANTING TO COPERATE (NATURALLY) I WILL TRY THE T-SHIRT IT IS UPSETTING ME HE IS CRYING SO MUCH, HE HAS BEEN LICKING THE WOUND NOT NOW AS HE HAS THE COLLAR ON BUT THIS IS DRIVING HIM BARMY...THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome.I'm glad that he's taking Carprofen; this medication should definitely help with inflammation and discomfort although it's not as strong an anti-pain drug as Tramadol or Gabapentin. I understand how distressed you must be since he's behaving as he is but I might consider giving him Benadryl, especially since it might make him drowsy enough to just fall asleep. Another topical option would be Vetericyn spray which could be used on the incision site itself. It may be available at local pet or grain stores depending on what time of day (or night) it is where you live. Best of luck with him; at the very least, hopefully, the t-shirt will take his mind off of his body. Kind regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IT'S 1AM IN THE MORNING HERE WHERE CAN I GET BENEDRYL FROM WOULD I BE ABLE TO GET IT THIS EARLY IN THE MORNING ANYWHERE

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I was afraid that it might be the middle of the night where you are which significantly limits options.Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is a human drug so it should be available at most any human pharmacy. Perhaps there's a 24 hour one near you if you wanted to try and find it tonight? Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IS THAT SAFE FOR DOGS I HAVE READ UP AND IS SAYS ITS NOT GOOD FOR DOGS

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that I had to step away from my computer after you posted your last question.Antihistamines are a class of drug which is commonly prescribed for dogs (and cats for that matter).I've suggested and advised the use of Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl) for a number of years and consider it to be a safe drug.It's a drug commonly used for anaphylactic reactions secondary to insect stings or bites. It's a drug used as a premedication for dogs who've experienced vaccine reactions.It can also be used to help control itching for some allergic dogs although it often isn't quite strong enough for many patients.I've seen a few rare instances of this drug causing excitability but for most patients, it causes sedation. I'm not sure where you've read about it being unsafe but this is not my personal experience so I would have to disrespectfully ***** ***** what you might have read on the internet. Deb