Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Yesterday my dog blew her cruciate ligament left rear vet

Customer Question

yesterday my dog blew her cruciate ligament left rear vet also felt she has sign of arthritis which all came as a big blow. we don't have insurance she is a large 40kg very strong Rottweiler nearing 9 & still acts like a puppy we under stand it will not heal on its own & brought her home to decide weather to operate give her time to see if we can keep her still enough to allow scaring & see how she goes on! she came out of the vets as if nothing was wrong just limping, she is on Metacam which I gave her last night. with the need to understand more I did some research now I am totally confused weather to operate or leg brace, as far as I understand operate " three different options up to vet to which would suit her stabilizes joint around eight weeks to achieve scarring start gentle exercise build up mussels may still limp & may need brace. external brace stabilizes joint scarring will take place brace worn for rest of life. This morning she is not putting any weight on leg at all eating & drinking ok doesn't appear to be in pain is alert & bright but resting which I know that's what she needs to do & from yesterday was my may concern on how I was going to stop her from jumping up getting on furniture etc. Because of how she left the vets bounding I thought it would be impossible some one just came to the door normally she be up to greet them she sat up wagging tail but waited for them to come to her so at the moment keeping her still she is doing that her self. I know I have to come to a decision which road to go down my concern because this has happened so suddenly no signs of a problem before what condition is the other knee in? will that one go? is there any way of finding that out what condition it is in? is long term bracing a better option due to her age? she has been the best dog we have had & I hate this has happened if it had been her hips or cancer even though it is hard we would not go down the road of any treatment This is a really difficult one Look forward to your views Thank you Alison

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Allison. The following is what you need to know... 1) ~50% of small (less than 15 kg) dogs and most cats, but only ~20% of larger dogs, return to full function with conservative (nonsurgical) therapy. By contrast, all of the surgical treatments have a reported success rate of ~85% for patients of all sizes.2) Success rates are similar for prosthetic ligament and osteotomy (TPLO, TTA, TTO) repairs. While return to full weight bearing is usually faster with osteotomy techniques, your financial constraints and age of your Rottie should have you considering the less expensive but still successful prosthetic ligament repairs.3) The prognosis after surgery is not affected by the degree of osteoarthritis evident on preoperative radiographs. 4) Consultation and referral with a specialist veterinary orthopedic surgeon should be considered for selection of the "best" procedure but that procedure continues to be controversial among specialists. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.