Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 12 week old pup has a obvious uti, vet won't see her today

My 12 week old pup has a obvious uti, vet won't see her today as not an emergency , can she have trimethoprim ? If so what dose ? She weighs 8 kg, thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question about Boo, it is possible to use Trimethoprim to treat a urinary tract infection. In regards ***** ***** for an 8kg dog, we tend to give only 24mg every 12 hours. Of course, the course should be for at least a week and do monitor her closely since we do sometimes have resistant infections that can require alternative antibiotics.

As well, if she is very uncomfortable with this, then we may want to have her vet dispense dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, etc) to reduce the bladder irritation for her. Finally, further to your urine acidification steps, I would note that aloe vera berry juice (from your local health food store) can be of benefit. As well, just keeping her drinking (even by offering low salt chicken broth or lactose free milk) can help dilute the infection and ease her discomfort as you treat her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )