Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Labrador ate a box of cadburys dairy milk chocolates at

My Labrador ate a box of cadburys dairy milk chocolates at approximately 2am today. He is very fit and weighs 32kg and is 11.5 years old. I estimate that there was 240g of chocolates left in the box but they do of course have different fillings as part of the weight left. He had a 2 mile walk this morning and was fine other than wanting to eat lots of grass. When we got home he didn't eat his breakfast and has now been sick at 11:30am. He seems alert and normal. Should I take any other action?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will you respond to me?
I am typing out your answer now, you should have it in this box in a few minutes ... Regards, ***** *****
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you ... Good news, this incident is unlikely to affect Archie too much, it is very much to your advantage that he is a large breed. No further action needed.The danger here of course would be the chocolate content , while chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than Archie ate before you would see serious signs of toxicity. I say this because :The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 70 lb { 32 kg } then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 49 ozs { Around 3 pounds } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. As 240 g = around 8.5 ounces then you can see you have little to worry about and the as you say the fillings would make the situation less serious as well.I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.