Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Moving house and cat is a demon when trying to get her in her

Customer Question

Moving house and cat is a demon when trying to get her in her carrier. I haven't been able to do so in the 3 years we have had her, any advice??
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. This process can be a challenge, there's no doubt about it!I do have a few suggestions which may help. 1. Rather than trying to stuff her into a carrier, I might try gently scooping her up in a pillow case and then deposit her into it. There are several videos on the internet about how this works but this LINK illustrates the process pretty well.2. I'd also use Feliway which may help to reduce the stress and anxiety of moving. This product is a natural pheromone which is available as a spray or wipe or diffuser. I'd plug in the diffuser at the new home but spray or wipe the carrier (and possibly the pillow case) before placing her in them. You'll want to let them dry, though, for about 5-10 minutes after application.It can frequently be purchased at local pet or grain stores or online (at least that's true here in the States).3. Depending on her age, you might consider giving her 1/2 of Diphenhydramine which is an anti-histamine and has the side effect of sedation for many pets. Anti-histamines are a relatively safe drug and are given to cats and dogs all the time. I typically recommend giving it about 1 hour before you see the desired effect. I hope this helps and that you manage to move her with a minimum of fuss and bother. Deb