Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a 3 year old shitzu who is neuted and clean we

i have a 3 year old shitzu bitch who is neuted and clean we have a cat flap that she eues but lately has piddled on kitchen of night time and now when taken for walks does lots of little pees,could it be a bladder infection.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on Jill's signs, we do have a few concerns. Sudden onset of urinary accidents coupled with small frequent urinations on walks is most suggestive of a bladder infection. Other potential causes for this would include bladder stones, urinary crystal issues, and bladder growths (this one being less likely at her age).

Now in regards ***** ***** to this situation, it would be best to have Jill seen by her local vet. They can rule out bladder stones and growths on exam and confirm our suspicions. As well, if you could bring a urine sample in (which can be a challenge if she isn't passing large amounts), this could be tested to make sure we have no crystals, confirm infection, and rule out other ongoing issues (ie diabetes, kidney disease, etc). If infection is confirmed, then antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, etc) would be indicated to clear this for her.

Finally, just in regards ***** ***** care, do encourage to drink so that we can dilute that bladder irritating urine. To do so, you can offer fresh water or even lactose free milk or low salt chicken broth. As well, wet food can be offered since it is 35% water. And you can even give her a few milliliters of aloe vera berry juice from your local health food store to help adjust her urine pH and make her more comfortable.

Overall, her signs are most suggestive of a bladder infection. Therefore, we do need to have this checked and nipped in the bud before it can worsen or cause any kidney related complications.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )