Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog keeps violently shaking her head from side to

Customer Question

My dog keeps violently shaking her head from side to side, and she is hopping around as she is unable to stand on one of her back legs. At the moment, she is looking very sad and tired. Is this an emergency? Thank you.
Kind regards,
Dan
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Dogs shaking their head to that extent often have a foreign body in the ear canal that needs to be extracted. The foreign body is often a plant awn but I also find ticks and debris that has accumulated secondary to both bacterial and yeast infections. it's unclear to me what "hopping around" implies but I do see head shaking so severe as to lift the legs of my patient off of the ground. To answer you directly, it's unlikely that such behavior indicates an emergency. The one exception is a foreign body (foxtail, e.g.*) that has a sharp point and which can move further into the ear and puncture Matilda's eardrum. *
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.