Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog had orthopeadic surgery on Monday. Has been

Customer Question

My dog had orthopeadic surgery on Monday. Has been on 10mg onsior once a day, omeprazole 10mg once a day, Therio 75mg antibiotics every 12hrs. I accidently gave her 2 onsior yesterday over a 4 hr period. She kept her breakfast down today, has thrown up some treats and now her dinner otherwise she has been fine? Can over dosing with Onsior b bad?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much does Peggy weigh?
Has her vomit had any brown material or blood?
Has she had any black stools?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I have not heard back from you but am concerned about Peggy. Therefore, I will leave my thoughts for your return.
First, if you gave her a double dose of her Onsior, then we do need to tread with care. Overdosing with this medication can cause GI upset with vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea, and can potentially cause a stomach ulcer. So, hopefully you are not seeing any of those signs I asked about. Though even if you are not, we have to keep an eye out for them. Furthermore, we need to keep an eye that her gums stay pink and she experiences no belly pain. Any of those signs and we’d want her seen urgently for a suspect ulcer.
Now it is true that the Omeprazole will help reduce stomach upset and the risk of ulcers. This is why her vet started her on this alongside the Onsior and the antibiotic (which is also well known for causing nausea/vomiting). Still, if we have an overdose then GI upset isn’t unexpected since the Omeprazole can only do so much.
Therefore further to that, I would suggest switching her onto meals of a light diet like rice with chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese. Whichever you choose, give this as small frequent meals with at least 30 minute breaks in between. This will be better tolerated by the upset stomach and give the stomach acid something else to chew on besides the stomach wall. Furthermore, if she isn't very sore, you could consider giving her 24 hours off the antibiotics and Onsior both to try and settle this stomach.
If you find she has any more vomiting or cannot keep those down, then we'd be best to ring her local vet. They can dispense gastroprotectants to reduce any risk here +/- treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication to help the Omeprazole do its job. That way we can avoid complications from this overdose and also prevent a secondary dehydration too.
Finally, just to note in case you were keen to have her seen now, most veterinary practices in the UK do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. They will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/careers/locums/what-will-i-need/) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if she isn't settling we can have her seen sooner to nip this in the bud and avoid complications from this overdose.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )