Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

My horse was out on loan years. Since coming back to

My horse was out on loan for 2 years. Since coming back to me in April (2015) she has had issues with her hind fetlock. I asked the loaners about any vets visits or treatments but I was ignored. As the horses owner do I have the right to phone the veterinary practice she was with whilst on loan to find out if she had any treatment for a specific injury?? Please help!
Expert:  Vet replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, vet Andrew here.
I'm sure I can help you here. You may have trouble getting the notes yourself, as there are confidentiality rules and the loaners may have presented Ginge as their own horse. However, your own vets have a right to request, and the loaner's vets have a duty to provide, any clinical notes relating to Ginge.
Here is what I recommend: Go into your vets and explain the situation fully, if you have not done so already. Bring with you Ginge's passport and any sale documents/proof of ownership you have for her. your vets should take a copy of these and phone the loaner's vets. The latter may request to see the docs as this could turn into a tricky situation, but as I said above, they are obliged under threat of disciplinary action to provide any clinical records they hold on the horse. Remember also that the loaner's vet ought to have requested Ginge's records when they first saw her, especially if the problem seen was ongoing.
I hope this helps. Please reply to this thread if you are unsure about anything at all. Best of luck.