Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 15 year old female neutered cat has recently had a poor

My 15 year old female neutered cat has recently had a poor appetite, even for things she used to really love.
I have tried various different brands and flavours of cat food. Her all time favourites though are raw pork and chicken. If she does eat something, she tends to vomit a few hours later. As a result of all this, she has lost weight and condition. I am worried this is the beginning of the end.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your girl Dez isn't feeling well and is refusing to eat most foods and vomiting what she does eat.Yes it is very possible at her age that we are looking at something serious, but that is not always the case.Lack of appetite and vomiting can be related to eating something she should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland) internal organ failure, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.Because she hasn't eaten normally in several and she is vomiting what she does eat days I am very concerned about her. If she isn't drinking well either she will quickly become dehydrated, especially because she is vomiting as well, and as her liver breaks down fats for energy to live she may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis.Ideally she would see a veterinarian today if this has been going on for more than 72 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her.In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.If you cannot have her seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.At home to try and settle her stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 5 kilograms of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 5 kilograms of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous so that she will eat and hopefully not vomit. They are quite safe and can be used long term if necessary.You can use a medicine syringe to try and force water into her orally.A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.If she continues to not eat she should see her veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.Please let me know if you have any further questions.