Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 17 month old staff X lab has a lump come up at the back

My 17 month old staff X lab has a lump come up at the back of her head Inbetween the ears I have been told by other dog owners it's probably her head maturing, it doesn't seem to be painful for her, it's a circular lump at the top of her skull, what could this be ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has it been present?

Does it seem to be getting bigger?

Is it hard, soft, fluidy, warm or sore to the touch?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply it doesn't affect her atal it doesn't hurt to touch it hard now beginning to get soft around the hard lump it has been coming and going for about 3 weeks, I have taken some pictures I am just trying to work out how to share them ­čśŐ
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Lindsay,

You should be able to post them with the paperclip icon. Or just post them on any website and post that link here for me to have a peek.
I will keep my eyes peeled,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2nd attempt

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Lindsay,

Now we can see hard "lumps" at this site in young dogs due to their skull edges being prominent. That said, we'd not expect a fluctuating soft lump. To see that, we'd be more concerned about a potential hematoma (blood blister), soft tissue inflammation from trauma, and potentially an abscess (though usually these are sore). As well, we can see this type of presentation with insect bites/stings; though those usually don't last 3 weeks and can be sore (plus this is less likely with the weather cooling down just now).

So, while we could trial Missy on an antihistamine (Piriton/Chlorphenamine -4mg every 8-12 hours) to rule out allergic reactions, I would suggest at least warm compressing this lump. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Otherwise, if it didn't settle with this, then we'd want to consider a check with her vet. They can sample the fluid in the lump to identify its nature and whether antibiotics would be indicated to clear this.

Overall, this doesn't look like a maturing of the head/skull. It looks like a soft tissue or fluid based lump that could be related to the above concerns. So, we'd want to consider the above just now to see if we can settle this for her. Otherwise, we'd want to have it checked to ensure no abscess/infection is lurking.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ­čśŐ
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.