Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 11 year old cat seems to be drinking a bit more than

Hi my 11 year old cat seems to be drinking a bit more than normal, she seems ok and is eating fine, but seems to eat more dry food than normal. She seems to be weeing normal too not too much or too little. She has been on Overactive thyroid tablets for 2 years, Felimazole which the vet said were discontinued and now on Thiafeline that he says are same. Would these cause her to be more thirsty?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been drinking more?
Any weight loss?
When was her thyroid level last tested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

About a week or so she has been drinking more. I cant see any visible weigh loss. She had her thyroid level tested in February and everything was normal on T4 blood test, then she had her yearly injections and check up in August. No blood test she just looked round her.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Angela,

In this situation, we do have a few concerns relating to her thyroid disease but also her health in general. Since we do have a different preparation of the same drug (so there is a slight risk of a change it the medications bioavailability), I would suggest having her T4 levels rechecked at this point. Her increased thirst does raise concerns that the dose may not be just right for her or that her condition may have progressed a bit more to allow a breakthrough in this mild signs. So, we'd want to check that at this point before any other signs, just in case we need to adjust her doses.

Otherwise, increased thirst can be associated with other issues (ie kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, etc). Since Ginger is older, we do need to be wary that another issue could be starting to creep in. Therefore, if the T4 is normal, then we'd be best to either have a urine sample tested or to add on a geriatric blood profile to the blood sample they take. That way we can check those other organs and make sure there is no early stage issue we may need to also address.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )