Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My westie dog has been playing with his ear thinking nothing

Customer Question

My westie dog has been playing with his ear thinking nothing of it I've just noticed that his jaw muscle on that side is smaller than the other side
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Facial nerve paralysis should be considered in such a patient. Are you seeing other symptoms that might support such a diagnosis - a rapid onset of drooling from one side of Barney's mouth, the inability to blink and the menace response and palpebral reflex may be absent and eyelid drooping may be present as well; and an apparent ear droop and/or deviation of the nose away from the affected side? You might also see food collecting in the affected commissure of the lips with halitosis present.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No none of that just playing with his ear felt his jaw abow his jaw seems to be perturbing and below that there seems less muscle on that side seem ok apart from that
Thank you for the additional information. Can you recall any time in the near past during which Barney had trouble opening his mouth? Which breed is Barney, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't he's a westie
Thank you. Determining the etiology of this type of facial muscle wasting can be a challenge. We need to consider otitis interna/media (inner/middle ear inflammation), hypothyroidism, ear polyps, and polyneuropathies if idiopathic (unknown cause) facial paralysis isn't the etiology. Barney's vet is likely to refer Barney to a specialist veterinary neurologist who is best equipped to perform the specialized testing needed for these patient. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine I'll make an appointment with the vet tomorrow thanks for your help
Sounds good. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.