Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

What do I need to cure footrot in one sheep

Customer Question

what do I need to cure footrot in one sheep
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, it is important to understand that footrot is a broad term for a range of usually bacterial infections affecting the feet. Therefore, we do sometimes need to test/culture what is present to target treatment (especially in resistant causes). That said, the most common cause though tends to be due to either the bacteria Fusobacterium necrophorum and/or Bacteroides.
In regards ***** ***** treatment for those agents, we often will move the affected sheep to a dry pen and treat both topically and systemically. For topical treatment, we find foot bathing beneficial. Typically we will use a 10% zinc sulfate solution for 5-7 days, soaking the feet for up to 15 minutes a day. This can also be used as a preventative measure to prevent spread to other sheep.
At the same time, we will often treat the affected ewe with a long-acting oxytetracycline (dosed at 13.6 mg/lb) for a week. Of course, we need to also ensure that the original pasture is drained or that the ewe is moved to a dry pasture once treatment is completed to avoid any risk of re-infection.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )