Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I need some advice on the best option cat. is a 4

Customer Question

I need some advice on the best option for my cat. Hi is a 4 year old moggie who has been vomiting profusely and not eating since Sunday. He saw our local vet on Monday who gave him an anti-emetic and sent him home as he did not have any other concerning symptoms. By the following day he had visibly worsened and was still not eating or drinking so by evening we took him to the emergency vet who treated him for severe dehydration. The cat was returned to our local vet practice the following day. They let us know that he was still vomiting (brown liquid) so took x-rays but could not see any obstruction/foreign body. So our vet (who is new to us and the practice) suggested one of three options - waiting till tomorrow to see if he has improved; getting an abdominal scan (but our practice doesn't have the facilities) so that can't be arranged until tomorrow or doing an exploratory operation. I asked for advice on which of these three options would be in our cat's best interests (all I want is a happy healthy cat) and the vet indicated that she couldn't say which would be best as she had no idea what was wrong.
What would you recommend?
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, vet Andrew here.
It sounds like you're having a worrying time with Tiger, but I do have some advice for you. I have a few questions first:
1. Did the vets find any abnormailities at all while examining Tiger?
2. Have any blood tests been done?
3. Is he drinking water?
4. Has he passed any stool in the last few days?
Once you get back to me, we can take this further.