Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 12 year old terrier suddenly went off her food and became

Customer Question

My 12 year old terrier suddenly went off her food and became very lethargic.
Blood tests showed kidney problems.
She ate for the last time on monday morning , had anti nausea jab which seemed to brighten her on wednesday. The vet thought i v fluids might help which she had done yesterday.
She went back for a check up this morning with the view of having more i v but seemed worse than ever and lay down on the vets table.
I decided not to put her through i v again and took her home as my son wanted to see her before we decided anything.
She seemed v poorly leaking brown liquid from her mouth so I mad an appointment for this evening with the knowledge she woulf probably have to be put to sleep.
However she had just drank water for the first time since monday, and now I wonder whether I should see how she goes, but at the same time don't want to prolong any suffering as she is shivering and obviously not feeling well.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian in the US who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm so sorry to hear that your pup has fallen ill - what is her name? It sounds like your vet has done all the things that I typically do with pets who are in kidney failure. While there does come a time when kidney disease is too severe for us to keep them comfortable, sometimes the IV fluids and anti-nausea medications can keep them comfortable for some time. I usually use a combination of antacids like famotidine or omeprazole combined with an anti-nausea medication called Cerenia (maropitant). I suspect some of this has already been done based on your description. If her phosphorous is high, this can make her feel ill as well - we can measure phosphorous in the blood - if it's high and we bring it down with a phosphate binder they do tend to feel better for a time. If I have a patient who is really not improving despite aggressive care, though, I generally do suggest that the owner consider humane euthanasia. I know that it's always a difficult decision to make, especially when they do seem to perk up "at the last moment". Since euthanasia is something that we can't take back, I usually will encourage owners to take a little more time (unless it's very clear to me that the pet is suffering). Having said that, most owners tell me in hind sight that they wish they had made the decision a little sooner rather than a little later. If she really does have severe kidney disease, she may be right back in trouble again and sick very soon, even if she does perk up for a few days. You are right in your assessment that shivering usually means that they are uncomfortable. I would also look at her appetite - if she still seems very turned off by food, I would consider this as a sign that she's not getting any better.I'm so sorry that you're in this tough spot - it's a heavy decision to make and I know that you're doing your best to make the right call for her. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! Thank you so much :)