Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a 5 year old bishon who started out with a snuffle on

I have a 5 year old bishon who started out with a snuffle on Wednesday evening and is now coughing/choking every so often (approximately twice a day since yesterday). he is lethargic and won't eat.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any nasal discharge? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Any other symptoms? 4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for coming back to me.

There is no discharge from his nose

There is no pre-existing condition

He coughs as if he is going to be sick or choking but nothing comes up
His gums are pink and healthy
He will not eat his food but is looking for treats !
He is lethargic but not sleepy

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- So basically he is coughing like a hack as if something is stuck in his throat? 2- Has he been around unfamiliar dogs like in a kennel, dog park, etc. in the last week or so?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is like a hack - he is walked twice a day and does come into contact with other dogs. At first I thought he had a cold but the chocking is a bit concerning.

Its only twice a day - but he is very usually quiet

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the coughing/hacking you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection. Basically, has a dog cold as you suspected. The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. This can be caused by viruses or bacterias. He may need to be started on oral antibiotics.It is also important to remember that sometimes this type of coughing could be related to an underlying heart or lung disease. For this reason I would strongly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian to listen to his heart/lungs make certain everything is ok. In the meantime, start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging. You can buy Robitussin over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - thanks

Also he is sniffing a lot like he is trying to clear his nose

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
He could be a little congested. You can open the hot water in your bathroom and allow him to breath the vapor/steam for 3-5 minutes. This will help clear his nasal passages. Make sure he has a cool room to go to after the steam. Please reply if you have additional questions. You're welcome. Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your advice which I will follow as suggested.

Have a good weekend.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Have a great and blessed weekend as well. You're welcome.