Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog is on 25 units of caninsulin a day..would it be

My dog is on 25 units of caninsulin a day..would it be possible to switch him to a human insulin?(novomix 30)

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
The answer to this question isn't entirely straightforward. There is a caveat:
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can switch your dog to some human insulins, but Novomix 30 would not be appropriate. This includes both short and long acting insulins, which is not what we use for dogs. Instead, we use strictly long acting insulins.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Also, just because your dog is regulated on 25 units of Caninsulin, we cannot predict how much he would need if we switch insulin types. Each animal will react differently to different insulins. He may need more or fewer units when using a different insulin.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Long term, you may save some money if you can switch him to a human insulin like NPH. However, you will need to switch under the guidance of your local vet, starting as if he were a newly diagnosed diabetic. He will need regular testing of his BGs until we are satisfied that we have found the appropriate dose of the new insulin for him. In other words, this will end up costing you more initially during the transition.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm in the uk so what insulin would be compatible ?

I home test so checking his bg is not a problem