Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My springer spaniel has a partial crutiate ligament injury

My springer spaniel has a partial crutiate ligament injury and has had X-rays and been examined under sedation. The vet said she probably did not beed an operation but
rest. She has been rested now for three weeks but has in the past day or two gone back to square one, limping and drawing up her leg. Do you think that she should have the operation.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Do you know if she had a positive cranial drawer or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I don't know but she is holding her leg up quite a lot in the past few days and this is what occurred five weeks ago.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, to determine if a patient needs surgical repair of the cranial cruciate ligament the patient must have a positive "cranial drawer." A cranial drawer is an orthopedic manipulation that we use to determine the integrity of the ligament. If the patient has it torn then then cranial drawer will be positive and the patient should have surgery. This test should be done with the patient sedated to relax the muscles that insert in the knee. From your history it does sound like she does have a compete tear and may need surgery. You see, often dogs with a partial tear will eventually have a complete tear. I would recommend you discuss with your vet about rechecking the cranial drawer under sedation, if positive she should have surgery. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr Peter

If we delay in getting the surgery (because of Vet's recommendation) and she does have a complete tear. Will this delay make the condition worse and any surgery less successful? Thanks