Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has kennel cough, she has been taking antibiotics

Customer Question

hello my dog has kennel cough, she has been taking antibiotics since Monday. I am due to collect my new puppy on Monday the 8th, she will have only had her 1st set of injections. will she be ok in the same house??
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for your new pup. There actually are several issues to consider here since you plan to bring your new pup home in a few days. 1. As long as your dog is coughing, she can be contagious and can put your new pup at risk for developing kennel cough.2. Even if your dog isn't actively coughing, she may continue to shed the organisms but this is true for any dog who has had kennel cough. The risk isn't high but I did want to at least mention it. You might wonder how long your dog might continue to be contagious after she stops coughing and that's a reasonable question to ask. But since some dogs are carriers and might continue to shed the virus for long periods of time (months even), this is a really tough if not impossible question to answer.My general rule of thumb is that if the patient is actively coughing, then they're contagious. If they aren't, then they're probably not.3. Even if the new pup has been vaccinated for kennel cough, she won't be completely protected for several reasons:a) The kennel cough vaccine is not 100% protective against Bordetella.b) The vaccine protects against the most common bacterial cause of this condition; however, there are many organisms which can cause what we call kennel cough against which the vaccine wouldn't be effective.4. You could separate the new pup so that she has limited to no exposure to your current dog but the new pup could still develop the condition. This is because we can carry these organisms on our clothes/body which can then be transferred to another dog. If this were me and my current dog has been responsive to antibiotics (isn't coughing in other words), then I'd probably plan on bringing the new pup home. I might isolate her for a few days (7-10) if at all possible, though, and wash my hands before touching/playing with her.I hope this helps and that the new arrival remains symptom free. Deb