Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have an elderly cat who will not eat at the moment. has

I have an elderly cat who will not eat at the moment. has a cold and had an anti biotic jab from vet but need a food supplement to build her up. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, if your lass isn't keen to eat, then you may want to ring your vet for an appetite stimulant. Furthermore, if she still sounds very congested (often a reason they won't eat), the vet can also dispense a cat safe decongestant +/- anti-inflammatory for her.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** I would first suggest trying her on smelly wet foods and potentially warming those in the microwave. We find that cats with congestion that cannot smell their food often won't eat, so both can help. Otherwise, we'd want to try her with calorically dense diets like Hills, A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, Clinicare, or even wet kitten food. All have more nutrition per bite and can be watered down to syringe feed if we need to. As well, on top of these, you can also add in a OTC nutriotional paste (ie Nutrical) which most vets, pet stores, and even online (ie Amazon) carry.
Finally, further to the above treatments for reducing her congestion and encouraging her to eat, if she is very congested then consider steam treatment. You can do this using a humifidier/neubulizer or even a steamy bathroom (after you have run a hot shower). This can loosen the snot congesting her and aid her breathing better. As well, plain saline nasal drops (not medicated) can also be a benefit in clearing her nostrils and helping her start to eat for us.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. She had been taken to vet last Tuesday, had the usual treatment but was not getting any better. I phoned vet on Thursday and they told me to take her in. She is still with vet on drip but hope to bring her home on Saturday.