Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I went to see a puppy who has had his first, but not second

Hi! I went to see a puppy who has had his first, but not second round of injections. I really want to get him, but the breeder showed him to me in a horse stables where she works. I'm now worried that he might have a disease. What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Eli but I do have a few additional questions to ask first if you don't mind: 1. Are you worried that he might pick up some infection from the stables?2. Does she not want you to come to her home?3. How did he look and act? Good body condition? Friendly or shy?4. Could you meet the parents (and any litter mates) if you asked?5. Did you have a bad feeling about the breeder and what she may have been telling you?
Normal
0
false
false
false
MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! See my answers below.1. Are you worried that he might pick up some infection from the stables?
Yes - I wouldn't be overly concerned if it's something minor, but if he could get seriously ill due to lack of vaccination, I'd rather get another puppy.
A horse had just been castrated and there was blood on the floor, though he was held the entire time by someone and didn't touch the floor, only was put down in a stable for me to see him move around for a few minutes. He tried to eat some horse poop there.2. Does she not want you to come to her home?
I am scheduled to pick him up this friday and am waiting to hear details. She said she lived right across the road from the stables.3. How did he look and act? Good body condition? Friendly or shy?
He was very friendly, licking my face, generally hyperactive no matter who held him.4. Could you meet the parents (and any litter mates) if you asked?
I met the mother, I am fairly confident it is the real mother since they acted friendly and he was trying to go for her milk (but he's weaned and she doesn't produce milk anymore)5. Did you have a bad feeling about the breeder and what she may have been telling you?
She seemed more of a 'normal person selling puppies' than a breeder so I was a little apprehensive about that.Thanks very much for your help!
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome and thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information.My apologies for the nonsense text in my response; I appear to be having site issues for some reason:( I can understand why you might be worried about the pup picking up something from the stables but unless they had lots of mangy, unhealthy looking dogs running around there, I probably wouldn't be too concerned.I suspect it was just more convenient for the puppy owner to meet you there which is why she arranged it this way.Most infectious disease which can be transmitted to a young pup are not going to be shed by horses; most of these diseases are species specific which means dog to dog. Certain viruses such as Distemper and Parvo are present in the environment (depending on where you live) but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be over-represented in a horse environment if that makes sense. If you sign a contract (which I would advise), make sure that it includes a provision which states that you have a certain amount of time (usually 2 weeks) to have him checked out by your vet. If the pup is found to be anything but as represented, then you should have the option to return him for a full refund. Every contract I've seen reads differently but this basic coverage is usually included. It doesn't sound as if he came in direct contact with any fecal material or anything else at the stables which would be terribly worrisome, but I would have a stool examined for parasites...which I would suggest even if he wasn't at the stables. I'm a firm believer in trusting your gut instinct in situations such as this. If you have a good feeling about the pup's owner and if you have a good feeling about the pup, then I'd go ahead and purchase him.I hope this helps and that it works out with him. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Deb! Your answers are helping me a lot :) I live in the UK, so as for parvo and distemper, should I be worried that other dogs would have been present there? Is it likely that unvaccinated dogs would be around there? The stables did have a vet on call. Sorry if I'm being a hypochondriac, first time owner! :)
As for fecal matter, he did try to eat some horse's feces in the stables which of course we discouraged him from.Thanks again!
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome and no worries about being concerned:)You could walk down the street with your dog and they could be exposed to parvo and distemper if you live in an endemic area which is why I advise owners to keep their new pups close to home until they've been adequately vaccinated...and sometimes even longer if they're Rotties or Dobes (since they appear to be at higher risk of developing Parvo in particular). You'll have to ask the stable manager or the puppy owner about the presence of other dogs (vaccinated or not) but even that will be no guarantee that they don't have these viruses on the premises. It's probably not highly likely but you just never know! His attempts to eat the horse fecal material is normal, unfortunately. But even if he had managed to eat some of it, there aren't too many parasites which could be transmitted to a pup. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see! Personally I would have kept him indoors the whole time until it really was safe to take him out. I'm feeling like all the little things I'm concerned about with the breeder and the circumstances do nudge me in the direction of going with a pup and breeder I feel 100% confident about.Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate that i was able to speak to you about this. :)
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Glad I could help and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. I couldn't agree with you more but perhaps the puppy's owner has done this in the past and didn't have a problem with it. Personally, I tend to play it very safe since I don't want to be sorry later. If you're having any reservations about this pup or the owner, then I'd trust your instincts. More often than not, they'll be accurate. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. Kind regards, Deb