Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Just gotten home after a 14hr shift. My dog, a female akita

Just gotten home after a 14hr shift. My dog, a female akita weight 52kg 6yrs old, has eaten a whole months worth of Sertraline 100mg each x 30.....She seems ok just bit spaced out but shes defo eaten them.....Help :/

P.S.  The sertraline pills are my perscription

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry to hear that your girl has ingested a large amount of Sertraline, which is antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Since she is showing side effects from the drug it is too late to induce vomiting, the drug is already absorbed and affecting her.If she ingested 30 of the 100mg tablets she ingested 3,000mgs, or 57.69mgs per kilogram of body weight, quite a dose.The good news is that she is a large dog. The minimal lethal dose of Sertraline in dogs is reported to be 80mgs per kilogram of body weight. But she will have effects from this.At 10mgs to 20mgs per kilogram we see dilated pupils, and loss of appetite.At 30mgs to 50mgs per kilogram of body weight we see drooling, incoordination, muscle tremors and possible seizures. Some dogs will become very lethargic, whereas others have paradoxical (unexpected, opposite effect of usual) hyperactivity.Rarely we can see changes in blood pressure. Unfortunately this drug persists in the body for a while, its half life (the time it takes to metabolize 1/2 of the drug) is at least 26 hours, longer in overdose situations like your girl. That means that she may be affected by this drug for several days.Treatment is best done at an emergency clinic. They can give activated charcoal via a stomach tube to try and bind the drug, decreasing any further absorption, and intravenous fluids to support heart and kidney function. If she has seizures intravenous drugs such as diazepam can be used to control them. If you do not have access to an emergency clinic all you can do at home is confine her and keep her quiet and away from stairs. Given that some dogs have behavioral changes with this drug be careful and she may become unusually aggressive. Offer ice cubes to lick, but don't feed her if she seems spaced out. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now shes the opposite to what she normally is. My once laid back feed rug has become hyperactivity!!! Tail ready to fall off and running around like a pup. Also panting as if shes been on a marathon.....

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Those are the paradoxical effects, hyperactivity, that we can sometimes see with an overdose of this drug. I think ideally she would be seen and treated at an emergency clinic as it doesn't sound like she is going to peacefully sleep this off. I would be concerned that she may have seizures with her nervous system being so stimulated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've calling out the vet..... hyperactivity has a whole new meaning to it after watching my dog.

Thank you, ***** ***** can do is sit and wait for the vet.

Thank you ;D x

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Poor girl, I am so sorry. I can only imagine how she is feeling. Please let me know how she fares.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr Kara.

Hachiko died this morning at 11:50, peacefully and like she was just asleep.

:C

Heartbroken is putting it mildly but I have to thank you for all your help....

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry to hear that your girl passed away.While the dose she ingested was very large, it was not at the reported lethal dose (80mg/kg of body weight or more). I suspect that your girl may have either had an idiosyncratic, and more severe than usual, response or an underlying heart issue that was worsened by the effects of the drugs. My heart goes out to you, I am so sorry that she didn't make it through this. My thoughts are with you and your family, take care, Dr. Kara.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.