Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I collected 2 kittens from cat protection this afternoon.

Hi, I collected 2 kittens from cat protection this afternoon. On the way home one was sick which we thought was stress in the car. At home they seemed to settle well but the one has now been sick several times, and now bringing up just bile. There can be up to about an hour or so in between, but I'm concerned about his breathing too. It seems quite fast, the other one's breathing is too, but this seems a little but irratic and with a loud purring noise. I'm not sure what to do for the best, ***** ***** you advise?
Julia
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Julia, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian in the US. I'm sorry to hear that your new little ones are sick so soon after coming home - I'm here to help! While it's entirely possible that the stress of the car ride upset his stomach, I'm a little concerned about him as well based on your description. Any time we think they're having labored breathing or respiratory distress, I consider that an immediate emergency. I'm really glad to hear that he's purring though!! With little ones, I'm also concerned that they can get low blood sugar when they are vomiting and not eating, so I'd suggest placing some karo or corn syrup on their gums - even if they don't swallow it will help bring up their blood sugar. If he's not eating still when your vet opens in the morning, I'd try to get him in for a look. Panleukopenia is a virus that causes life threatening vomiting and diarrhea in young kittens, so I don't like to "Wait and see" with babies. Let me know how he's doing and also let me know what other questions I can answer for you~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Sara, I stayed up with him through the night and he stopped being sick and hasn't been sick again so far and its now 11 am, last sick about midnight. His breathing calmed eventually when he got into a deeper sleep. This morning he has eaten, drank quite a bit of water and had a little play. Not as much as the other one by any stretch but am taking into account different personalities. He is asleep at the moment but breathing is calm and steady and alot quieter so I feel happy he's comfortable and ok. Of course if there is any change in breathing again or sickness I will take him to get, but I'm hoping it was all down to stress of the car and upheaval rather than any serious underlying problem.
Many thanks again
Julia
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Fantastic! I'm really glad to hear that he calmed down! I'll be here if you should need more help :)~Dr. Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.