Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 2 year old Chiwawa has just had surgery luxating

My 2 year old Chiwawa has just had surgery for a luxating Patella. She is currently unable to bed her leg, and with this I am immediately concerned. She has not pass urine or stools since I retrieved her from the vets (roughly 6 hours ago) she also is not interested in food or fluids. I have offers from boiled rice with chicken broth, but nothing. I'm concerned that because she cannot bend her hind leg, she will not be able to get in the right position to pass urine. Should I be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.I recently came online and see that your question about Betty hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can. I can understand why you'd be so worried about her but hope to reassure you that some (if not all) of her behavior would be considered normal after a surgical procedure of this sort. Many patients aren't interested in eating or drinking much for the first 24 hours or so after they come home.Often the drugs given during or after surgery can affect their appetite and thirst.Given her age, she's not likely to become dehydrated but I might worry a bit about hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) given her breed. Therefore, I might rub about 1 tsp of honey or pancake syrup on her gums/tongue every several hours to prevent her sugar from dropping too low. You wouldn't have to do this overnight but just until you go to bed. It's also not unusual for patients to not produce a stool or to urinate the first 24 hours or so after they get home although dogs who were given supplemental fluids during the procedure tend to urinate sooner rather than later.If she really needs to urinate, she'll still be able to do so but it might be helpful to use a towel as a sling around her midsection to help stabilize her when she's outside. It's not likely but some of these patients will leak urine while they're laying down (especially if they're too sedated or uncomfortable to stand) so I would place a towel under her to absorb any urine which might be produced. I'm not certain why she's unable to bend her leg unless there's significant swelling or pain. Hopefully, she's been discharged with medication such as anti-inflammatory and anti-pain drugs which will help if that's the case. I hope this helps and that her post-op recovery will improve by tomorrow or later today. Again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Deb.Thank you so much for your reply. Literally with 30 minutes of reading you reply, Betty was able to pass urine. There is a lot of swelling at the site, and I think you may be right. When crouched to pass urine, she still wouldn't or couldn't bend her leg. He has also just eaten a full bowl of food.Thank you so much for your advice
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome although I'm sorry I was off my computer when you responded back.
I also wanted to thank you for the rating and bonus; they're greatly appreciated:)
I'm glad to hear that she urinated and that she ate so these are two things at least that you won't to worry about.
But, if her surgery site remains swollen and/or medication hasn't been dispensed, then a call into your vet may be prudent.
Best of luck with her. Kind regards, Deb