Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Struvite crystals wet diet my vet insists that i have cannin

Customer Question

hi struvite crystals
wet diet my vet insists that i have cannin urinary tract dry
what should i do
im in scotland and vets up here have or seem to have no idea
should i ignore and put him on wet diet with added water
also they want me to pump antibiotics as well he is on cephalexin(cephacare)
also he is overgrooming bad its been going on foe 14 months 3 vets and no answer or
no improvement, the only positive thing is that i know its struvite with lots
of debris or so the vet says help my poor boy has suffered enough
sue
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years. In cats that have bladder problems in general, and specifically struvite crystals, diet is the key to preventing further problems. Heres what I think...First, unless there is something specific going on that you haven't mentioned, I see no reason to have him on antibiotics. Second, the most important way to prevent struvite crystals and keep a bladder comfortable is to have dilute urine. You can accomplish this with a canned diet... especially if you are mixing water with it. If you are able to feed an entire or at least 90% canned food diet, I would stick with that. If you can't do that much canned food for some reason, they you need a dry food that has been specifically formulated to prevent crystals... and the royal cabin one is one of the best on the market.As far as the over grooming... that can bee stress related in cats, but more often it is an allergic problem. Is your boy on a good flea preventative? Even if you never see a flea, overgrowing cats should be on Advantage... it's amazing how many of them are flea allergic.I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions let me know.