Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 18 mo th old lab is in season at the minute but looks

Hi my 18 mo th old lab is in season at the minute but looks like she is having a vaginal prolapse . We adopted her a few weeks ago as her owners couldnt take her tk there new home and I can get in touch with them
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Shelby. You're likely to be seeing either vaginal hyperplasia or vaginal prolapse. An edematous swelling of the vaginal mucosa occurs secondary to estrogen stimulation and it may progress to vaginal protrusion through the vulvar lips as it appears to have done in Shelby. Our treatment goals are to prevent drying, necrosis, and devitalization of exposed vaginal tissue, prevent future recurrence, and prevent urethral obstruction. We insert a urethral catheter to relieve obstruction when present, ensure that vaginal tissue is kept clean, apply topical applications of sterile water-soluble lubrication or antibiotic ointment, apply an Elizabethan collar or protective pants to avoid self mutilation, provide a clean environment to minimize tissue trauma, and recognize that spontaneous regression at the end of estrus is common. You may also schedule an ovariohysterectomy (spay) which prevents recurrence and may hasten resolution; regression of tissue is reported to occur within 21 days post spay. Please have Shelby looked at by her vet who will determine how much of the above needs to be done and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So should I take her to a vet at the earliest opportunity?
I would, yes, for while hyperplasia will abate with good care, a prolapse would need to be replaced which could require anesthesia and surgical intervention. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.