Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat went to the vet when he breaths and he was

Customer Question

My cat went to the vet for weesing when he breaths and he was breathing heavy. He was diagnosed with irregular heartbeat, murmur fluid around his heart He was given a shot to kick start the treatment a few hours later his face on the right was swollen. It doesn't feel it to the touc'h and he doesn't seem in pain when I touch it. It's on the lower right of his jaw. Is this a sign of an allergic reaction. Should I give him his tablets for his condition or take him back.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I understand your concern. A drug reaction is certainly a consideration but so is a peripheral edema - a collection of fluid in the subcutaneous tissues - seen with right-sided heart failure. The same edema can appear in his limbs at which time it would be called a dependent edema. Please give Monas's vet a call to see if the vet wants to take another look at him.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I contact my vet he said there would be OK to give him his meds. His breathing is now regular. But he isn't eating much. He is getting quite bolted. But goes down when he has eaten. At the minute his chest is bolted but he won't eat. He seems fine though going back to vet on tues.
Thank you for the update. "Bolted" might be a UK term I'm not familiar with. Did you mean "bloated"?