Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My friend has a 1.5 year old male mastiff cross. 2 months ago

Customer Question

My friend has a 1.5 year old male mastiff cross. 2 months ago he developed problem with his nails that were spliting right down to his tips and causing him pain. He was tested and treated by the vet. they have cut his nails short and tests did not show any other propblem to cause that. However few months later the problem started again. Does he need some vitamin suplement or is this genetic condition that will repeat itself?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I would need to know what type of testing was performed to be able to answer you more accurately. Diseases of the claw include bacterial and fungal infection, neoplasia (unlikley at Baron's age), allergies, autoimmune skin disorders, and symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy. The diagnosis is usually based on history and clinical findings. Cytology (examination of the cells) in exudates from the claw or claw fold and bacterial culture on those exudates should be performed. If infection can be ruled out, biopsy may be necessary to confirm the diagnosis of autoimmune skin disease or symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy which is suspected to be immune mediated and genetically predisposed because certain breeds are over-represented with this claw disorder. Vitamin supplementation may be helpful when this onychodystrophy is present. The combination of vitamin B3 (niacinamide) and tetracycline may be effective. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I would be pleased to review the results of any testing you could upload to our conversation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have any tests results and it would take a while to get them. All I know that the results were OK. Sadly my friends insurance was cancelled due to the fact that his mastiff may be cross with pitt bull so going back to the vet is not a option at the moment as his first visit was £600 and he is not insured now. Could I leave this question open until I get some more infromation?

Certainly. I understand your constraints. You're welcome to return to our conversation at your convenience. Please bookmark this page for ease of return.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.