Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a very large Siberian husky, His paws are in a very

Customer Question

I have a very large Siberian husky, His paws are in a very bad state as I am unable to trim the hairs or hard hair lumps as he really has ticklish feet and will not let me. I have used cocomutt trimmed some hair but with great difficulty and he gets quite upset with me...Could you please tell me if there is a sleeping pill I could give him that will relax him and give me a chance. He really is a very loved dog but his feet make him look neglected. He is unable to go walking because of this We do dry his feet when he comes in from the wet garden...I hope you can help me.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, you won't find any sedatives over the counter potent enough for your purposes. Your best bet is having Zak's vet prescribe the prescription tranquilizer Acepromazine which you would administer to Zak 2 hours prior to the desired effect. Because this is a prescription drug, Zak will need to have been seen within 6 months by his vet or you're likely to be asked to bring him in for an exam. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the human tablet Amitripyline do him any harm at all do you know ...Sorry didn't view had to go to work.
We administer amitryptline to dogs as a behavior modifier, antipruritic (antiitch), and neuropathic pain modifier. Dosing is initially 0.5-1 mg/lb every 12 hours. It can cause sedation but occasionally dogs exhibit hyperexcitability. It's not expected to be of much value for your purposes. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.