How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 21648
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

Our cavachon puppy 15 weeks old, ate a single raisin only. There can be kidney problems I

Customer Question

Our cavachon puppy 15 weeks old, ate a single raisin only. There can be kidney problems I understand. Should we be worried about ONE raisin? It happened 10 minutes ago. The dog has been healthy in the past
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Unfortunately, when to comes to raisins and grapes, there is no "safe" dose. We see some dogs tolerate eating multiple ones, but others can suffer kidney damage from just one raisin. Therefore, we do need to read with great care and act quickly for Milly.
Since it has only been 10 minutes ago, it is advisable to get her to her vet urgently so that they can induce vomiting +/- administer IV fluids to reduce the risk here. They will be able to use apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
Otherwise, if that is not an option for any reason, you can at least consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any toxin from the raisin in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Overall, even a single raisin can be seriously dangerous for our dogs. Therefore, we'd need to err on the side of caution here for your lass. Therefore, I would strongly suggest having her seen now so that vomiting can be induced and any risk avoided.
Finally, just to note,some veterinary practices in our country have office hours today. As well, I wanted to mention that most veterinary practices here do have contingency plans for emergency care for their patients even when they are not open. Therefore, it is worth ringing the practice. If they are open, you can get her seen today. If they aren't, then they will likely have a message to direct you on how to contact their out of hours service. And if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you, you can check the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/careers/locums/what-will-i-need/) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get her checked out sooner then there are options to have her seen today too.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )