Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has a sore in her back paw, how do I treat it?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is she licking the sore? 3- Can you describe the appearance of the sore?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I noticed it a couple of days ago, she's not licking it but flinches when I touch it. She's walking on it ok. It's a small reddish lump on the side of a pad. It's weeping a little bit
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
What is the appearance of the discharge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Red, not flowing just sitting on it
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you for the picture.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, I see the ulcerated swelling or lump in the center. If you look medially (in front and toward the right), the base of the pad is also swollen. Possible causes are: Infection (abscess), underlying tumor, trauma, etc. I would recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian if not significant improvement within 1-2 days of the below recomemndations: 1- Do not let her lick the affected area, if she does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.2- Pick up in your local pharmacy (chemist) "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to soak her paw for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day. 3- After soaking paw dry area really well and apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Then, place a light bandage with gauze to cover affected area with antibiotic. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. 4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ūüėÄ