Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

9 month been spayed 5 days ago it's cold she's panting and

Customer Question

9 month been spayed 5 days ago it's cold she's panting and can't open her bowels getting quite distressed
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now this isn't an uncommon issue after our female dogs have had abdominal surgery like a spay. She will be tender in both her abdomen and within those midline muscles that were cut through when she was opened. In this case, if she is struggling, we may need her local vet to dispense pain relief for her if they have not already (you could ring the vet's out of hours service if this has not already been provided).
Otherwise, besides reducing the pain that will be making her passing feces a struggle, we can also try to facilitate her passing stool itself. To do so, we'd want to give her a GI lubricant. Now ideally, we'd want to use one that will pass through the whole GI without being absorbed. Examples of these you can obtain from your local pharmacy (possibly in the larger grocery stores) include Lactulose and liquid paraffin. These are usually given as a few milliliters mixed into food 1-2 times daily to help her pass stool. Alternatively, we can use cat hair ball treatment (from your vets, pet stores, or some grocery stores).
That all said, if you do not have access to these at this late hour, then you can try giving her a few milliliters of olive oil mixed into her food. It does tend to digested and therefore isn't as effective as the rest, but it can be used in a pinch in times like these. So, you could try that now to help her pass this.
Finally, if she is amenable, you can try to give her a gentle enema using luke warm soapy water (+/- with KY jelly added in). This can be syringed into the anus to loosen feces in the lower part of the gut. Of course, this again needs to be done with care. If she is too tender or not a dog that will tolerate this, then we'd want to skip this step as we don't want anyone bitten or her distressed any further. But it may be an option for some dogs and tried after these other steps.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )