Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Why is my horse stamping his back hoof on the ground all the

Customer Question

why is my horse stamping his back hoof on the ground all the time
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This behavior in a Cob as old as Migs usually indicates that there is an irritation in this hoof or both back feet. This could be arthritis or another form of irritation. Migs is doing this to try to stop whatever is irritating him. It is best to have your vet examine him and possibly xray the feet to determine what the cause is and how best to treat this. For now, start Migs on a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin available where horse feed is sold. This will add lubrication to his joints to decrease any irritation. This may not be enough but it is a place to start. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Migs feels better soon!
Have a wonderful day!