Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat been crying alnight and throughout the day.she drinking

Customer Question

My cat been crying alnight and throughout the day.she drinking more water than usual. She is eating...I'm very concerned.sharon.thankyou.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on your history, I share your concern about Jess.
Now when we have increased vocalization in the elderly cat, we have 2 concerns. Specifically, the two most common issues are high blood pressure and dementia.
Though to hear that Jess is drinking more would make me most concerned about her blood pressure. This is because this condition commonly causes disorientation with vocalizing (most often at night). Furthermore, we can see it triggered by conditions that also increase thirst like kidney issues, heart issues, or metabolic conditions like hyperthyroidism.
With this all in mind, it'd be ideal to consider having her checked by her vet at this stage. Ideally, we'd want to have her blood pressure checked +/- a blood sample (to rule out those other health issues being present). Just to note, blood pressure testing is quite non-invasive (it is done similarly to how we check our own --but with smaller arm cuffs). If it is high, there are treatments that can be used to bring this down. And if her vet does test her blood and confirm one of those other issues too, addressing those often will settle both it and the elevated blood pressure. And once we address those, the crying usually declines with the blood pressure.
Overall, these would be my concerns for what you are seeing with Jess. Therefore, I would strongly advise ruling out high blood pressure if she is vocalizing in this manner. If she is nearly due for a booster, then you might consider having her blood pressure checked at the same time and get to the root of her signs for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )