Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My names George I have a Yorkie called sparky he has anal

Hi my names George I have a Yorkie called sparky he has anal gland troubles I take him to the vets at least once a month but he also tends to lick his paws and then look around in a upward motion the vet said that his anal glands were clean just has trouble expressing them he is 2.5 years old,
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, George. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
First, I would just note that if Sparky is chewing his paws, that does raise non-anal glad related issues. Specifically, we'd be concerned that he could have an underlying allergy. And I would note that some allergies can also cause peri-rectal irritation/itching even when the anal glands are not full. Therefore, you may need to consider this with Sparky as well.
In regards ***** ***** so, I'd note that you can consider trialing him on an antihistamine to see if you can reduce his paw chewing (especially before it becomes a habit, as it may be already). In regards ***** ***** antihistamine options, we do often use Piriton (Chlorphenamine) in dogs. Typically they can have 4mg every 8-12 hours. So, this is worth trying to see if it reduces his paw chewing +/- his backside irritation. If it is stubborn, then we may need to think about diet trials and allergy testing with his vet.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** glands, increasing fiber is often of benefit in firming stool so that glands are expressed naturally. Bran can be used or we do have fiber rich diets (ie Hills W/D) that can be of help. Though if Sparky hasn't responded to this or isn't keen for bran, you can consider Pro-Fibre supplements (http://www.protexin.com/products/pro-fibre/31) or even adding a 0.5 teaspoon of Benefibre to his diet (not given directly though). It is often a case of finding what works best for him, but these would be other alternatives to try.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )