Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

When a Samoyed is coming into heat can she be restless,

Hi. When a Samoyed is coming into heat can she be restless, pacing and little groaning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm also available to accept a phone call if you make the request. Customer support can help you do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi have you reviewed my question
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Yes... typing a response now...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I want to let you know that everything you're describing *can* be part of a normal heat cycle, but it's also possible your dog is doing this because she is uncomfortable for some other reason. Most of the time when a dog comes into heat, there is swelling of the vulva and some discharge, but the dog usually doesn't act different in any other way. (typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please tell me if you are noticing any other symptoms:vomitingdiarrhea appetite lossdecreased energy or mobilityexcessive thirstweaknesscollapse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Earlier today she vomited some boil
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Being in heat doesn't usually cause vomiting, either. I'm worried that the symptoms of discomfort you're noticing along with the vomiting mean there's something else going on. The fact she's in heat may be coincidental. Has she had anything to eat or drink since she vomited earlier today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she ate nuts and drank water since
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
And no more vomiting?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
How is her energy level?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The reason I ask is that restlessness, pacing, and groaning can also be the symptoms of a life-threatening condition called "bloat" or "GDV". There is typically also dry heaving or unproductive retching associated with this disease. Dogs who suffer from bloat go from being fine to being dead within a few hours, so it's a very serious condition. Restlessness, pacing, and groaning are associated with some other problems as well.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No more vomiting I just ran around the house and she ran with me but her energy levels wouldn't be 100%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am worried about bloat also
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Right... I'm glad you've heard of bloat. If bloat is the case, however, I would expect her to be in pretty serious shape. I would expect labored breathing, weakness, pale mucous membranes, and dry heaves.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The difficult situation you're in is deciding if this is an emergency and she needs to go to the ER as quickly as possible, or if she can wait it out. The safest bet, of course, is always to have her evaluated. Then you'll know for sure what's going on and if it's serious or not. It's always better to be safe than sorry. If for any reason, however, you don't want to take her in, you need to watch her carefully for signs of anything getting worse or other serious signs of an emergency:all the things I listed aboveweaknesscollapseseizuressevere bleedingsevere vomitingsevere and bloody diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Does this help to answer your question to your satisfaction? I want to be as helpful as possible.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.(rating option enabled)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but I am still confused with what to do she usually lies down and relaxes in the house but is very restless and groaning and pacing
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Okay...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I know it's confusing AND upsetting to watch her be uncomfortable like this. These symptoms can be caused by a variety of problems. Some are serious, and some are not.That means there are really only two things for you to decide between doing for her...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
1. One is to take her to the ER so you can find out why she's acting like this. That's the safest option, just in case it is something serious. 2. The only other option is to wait and see if she gets better on her own. There isn't any type of home remedy or other solution I can recommend for you because there's no way for me to know what's causing her to act this way. I'll tell you this much, however, I'm worried about her. If she were my dog, I'd definitely seek medical care. Even if it turns out to be something not so serious, I would want to get relief for her as quickly as possible.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Does that help to clear up your confusion about what to do?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I really do want to be as helpful as possible because it sounds like you're in a really troubling situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thank I will make contact with the clinic
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
That's the best plan. Please do remember to take a moment to rate my response on your way out of the chat. Thank you, ***** ***** of luck to you and your dog.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I hope it turns out to be something simple with an easy solution.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
(rating option enabled)
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.